This is the perfect arugula lentil summer salad, especially for meal prep. The fresh arugula, soft lentils, and sweet mango make the perfect combination for a peppery, earthy, and tropical flavor. Topped with cranberries and sliced almonds for a crunchy texture. This salad is packed with protein and nutrients that make it a delicious, filling, and simple balanced meal.
Summer days call for fresh meals made from simple ingredients and spending less time in a hot kitchen. The most important thing to remember when making salads is to include a wide variety of ingredients with all the necessary nutrients, from base to toppings. I also like to create dressings with vinegar, oils, and seasoning that complement the salad perfectly. Like the mango salad dressing for this recipe. Serve with vegan pita bread pizza!
This arugula mango salad recipe with mango dressing is high in protein and iron.
Since iron deficiency is common in the U.S, especially on women, we should always be mindful of our iron intake and make sure to include iron-rich ingredients in our diets. More on that in the Nutrition section below.
Yield: 5 servings
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Total time: 25 min
1 lb arugula
1 ¼ cup lentils
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup almond slices
½ tsp salt
1 tsp wine vinegar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Reserve a piece of mango, mashed
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Lime juice (1 lime)
½ tsp garlic
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp seasoning blend
½ tsp ground mustard seed
Pepper to taste
1. Wash and drain the lentils.
2. Add them to a saucepan with 3 ¾ cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat, and simmer until they are tender - about 20 minutes.
3. Once they’re fully cooked, add salt, wine vinegar, and balsamic vinegar.
4. While the lentils are cooking, chop the mango into small pieces and reserve a piece for the dressing. Add the chopped mango and arugula to a bowl.
5. Once the lentils are ready, add them to the salad bowl with the dried cranberries and sliced almonds. Mix well.
For the dressing:
1. Mash a piece of mango.
2. Add all other ingredients and whisk until they’re all combined.
3. Pour the dressing on the salad, and that’s it! It’s ready to enjoy.
- When making this recipe for meal prep, pack the dressing on the side and combine it when it’s ready to eat. This avoids getting vegetables soggy.
- Add some avocado if served fresh.
-Serve with a side of sweet potato & carrot soup.
$12. This takes into account the measurements listed in the ingredients section and for the main ingredients only. Does not include seasoning.
*Arugula is among the top 10 most nutrient-dense foods, packed with calcium, potassium, folate, vitamin C, K, and A — it's almost 30 percent more nutrient-dense than cabbage and nearly 50 percent more nutrient-dense than cauliflower. Adding arugula to a diet helps with weight management without sacrificing nutrition.
Arugula is also an excellent source of several nutrients that support eye health and blood pressure.
*Mango improves digestive health and is considered one of the best brain foods. It’s packed with vitamin B6, which is essential for maintaining brain function. In fact, some research suggests that a deficiency in this key vitamin could contribute to impaired cognitive function and neurological decline. Mango also contains the antioxidant zeaxanthin, which filters out harmful blue light rays, playing a protective role in eye health as well as possibly preventing macular degeneration symptoms.
*Lentils are a great source of protein and iron, a mineral that is sometimes lacking in vegetarian and vegan diets. Lentils are high in antioxidants and fiber, which supports regular bowel movements and the growth of healthy gut bacteria, critical for overall health.
Did you try this refreshing and healthy arugula mango salad recipe? Let me know in the comments below and/or tag your creation on Instagram #everyhealthybite